- Record all of your past, present, and future shark* sightings.
- Record sightings you see in the news or on the internet.
- Securely store and keep track of your shark* sightings in your personal shark* records.
- Tag your dive club, society, etc. in your shark* sightings.
- Benefit from automatic data checks and review by experts.
- Share your sightings with your friends and the SharkBase community.
- Explore dynamic maps and reports of your data.
- Explore data shared by other recorders in your area and/or for species groups you are interested in.
- Contribute directly to real science and conservation.
SharkBase is a website for recording and sharing shark* encounters, including associated photos. You can register quickly and for free. Once you’ve registered, you can add your own sightings for others to see, and you can see what has been recorded by others. Your data will be kept secure and will be regularly backed up. Automatic checks will be applied to your observations to help spot potential errors, and experts will review your sightings to verify their accuracy. Once a sighting has been verified by our experts it will then be added to the public database for others to view and share.
The goal of SharkBase is to make it easier for sightings to be collated, checked by experts, and made available to support research and decision-making at local, national, and global levels.